Traveled up a bunch of floors to the Fog Room not too long ago (in the grand scheme of schemes), which is a bar on the top floor of the Charter Hotel downtown here in Seattle. While there, I had a tasty drink called The Whisper in the Wind, a lovely number created by the Fog Room’s Jesse Cyr, who is a swell shaker here in Seattle. Then I wrote about it for the superb Seattle magazine. And now you can read all about the Whisper in the Wind (and make it, if you want, as there’s a recipe).
Seattle has loads (most in the world, in my opinion, admittedly biased) of fantastic bartenders, some shaking more recently, and some who have shaken for years, and helped develop not only our cocktail culture, but the world’s. One of those who fall into that elevated category is jolly Jay Kuehner, who has bartended in a number of spots, but who is perhaps most known for his groundbreaking work at the gone-but-not-forgotten Sambar, and who is now (among other things) making delicious drinks at The Cloud Room. One of those is called the Xavi (a Spanish-inspired spritz), and I was lucky enough to write a bit about it, and Jay, for the smashing Seattle magazine. So, go read about the Xavi spritz made by Jay Kuehner.
- Cocktails, Coziness and a Collection of Cool Grains at Lucinda’s
- These Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Are Just the Thing to Get Through January
- 6 Hot Drinks to Take the Chill Off
- Queen City’s Return to Belltown
- Eat Too Much? Try an After-Dinner Digestif
- Amazing Views and Cocktails Abound at Downtown’s Fog Room
- Six Inspired Bloody Marys to Sip in Seattle
- Old Ballard Liquor Co. Transforms from Distillery into a Scandinavian Bar
Recently (in the full scope of time) got to go down to a newish bar in Seattle, called Black Cat, and I loved it, with its amazing metal-album-cover mural, friendly staff, fun and tasty drinks, and owner Dustin Haarstad, who makes a swell cocktail and is a darn friendly fellow himself. While there, I had a fantastic Calvados-based cocktail called A Rose in the Fall, and then (because I have a nice guardian angel) I got to write about the drink and the spot for the smiley Seattle magazine. You should go read all about A Rose in the Fall, and visit Black Cat, too. You’ll be happy, I’ll be happy, they’ll be happy, and the world needs more happy.
The seasons are changing, but one thing remains: I’ve been lucky enough to keep writing about swell Seattle bars and such for the super Seattle Magazine. In case you’ve missed any (and I’m sure you haven’t, but just in case), below is a trio of charmers that will have you hopping out to local spots – if you live in Seattle, of course. If you don’t, come visit:
- 5 Bars To Go To For Pre-Seahawks Game Cocktails
- Find Comfort Food and Cocktails and Sawyer, New in Ballard
- 5 Best Seattle Bars for Summer Drinking